Cité épiscopale d’Albi
Visible from all sides on the approach to Albi, the imposing Cathedral, with its majestic tower, is like a beacon, lighting the way and inviting visitors to approach.
Construction of the Cathedral was begun in 1282, in response to the Cathar heresy, it was to be a fortress symbolising the power of the Catholic Church.
The largest brick Cathedral in the world, 113m long and 35m wide, the Cathedral dominates the town with its 78m tower, completed in 1492, shortly after the consecration of the sanctuary.
Painted between 1474 and 1484, probably by Flemish artists, the mural painting of the Last Judgement, recognised as the largest in the world, offers a representation of the end of time.
In 1509 Italian painters covered the vault with frescos comprising the largest ensemble of Italian Renaissance painting in France.
The classical organ, the largest in France is as much an architectural as musical master-work. It was built in the 18th century by the organ manufacturer Christophe Moucherel.
The Cathedral of Sainte-Cécile is this living place where each year hundreds of thousands of people of all origins and faiths come to admire the architecture and the decoration and to silently reflect in this evocative space.